- Any member who is age 55 and who has 12 years or more of creditable service or any member who is age 62 and who has at least 8 years of creditable service as sheriff of a county may retire with benefits.
- No person is eligible to receive retirement benefits while actively serving as sheriff in the State of Missouri.
- A member may retire any time after the end of the month that the member is eligible to retire after completing an Application for Retirement Benefits.
- The Application for Retirement Benefits must be filed no less than 30 nor more than 90 days prior to the effective retirement date. The chart below shows the applicable retirement dates and the required dates for submission of the application:
|For a Retirement Date of:||Application Must be Submitted |
NO SOONER THAN:
|Application Must be Submitted
NO LATER THAN:
|January 1||October 1||December 1|
|February 1||November 1||January 1|
|March 1||December 1||February 1|
|April 1||January 1||March 1|
|May 1||February 1||April 1|
|June 1||March 1||May 1|
|July 1||April 1||June 1|
|August 1||May 1||July 1|
|September 1||June 1||August 1|
|October 1||July 1||September 1|
|November 1||August 1||October 1|
|December 1||September 1||November 1|
- The Sheriffs’ Retirement System offers several retirement options as listed below. See the Retirement Pension Description Form for an explanation of the various benefit options available:
- Normal Annuity
- 100 % Joint and Survivor Option
- 75 % Joint and Survivor Option
- 50 % Joint and Survivor Option
- Life Income with 60 months (5 years) of Guaranteed Payments
- Life Income with 120 months (10 years) of Guaranteed Payments
- A retirement option must be selected on the Application for Retirement Benefits. Once retirement benefits begin, the election which was made is irrevocable.
- Medical Insurance Premium Supplement – In addition to retirement benefits, retirees receive a monthly medical supplement that is determined by the Board of Directors during its last board meeting of each calendar year. The amount shall not exceed $450.00 and is determined based on the advice of the Sheriffs’ Retirement System Actuary.
- Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) – Annual cost of living increases will be applied to the monthly benefit payment in March each year. The amount of the increase is determined in February based on the prior year Consumer Price Index and retiree’s benefit.